Accounting Interface Setup
Yellow Dog Software has developed numerous invoice exports to meet the needs our client's accounting systems.
Any invoices created in Yellow Dog Inventory, either manually or via a vendor EDI, is exported to a format and location accessible by the accounting solution.
Complete Accounting Export Overview
Yellow Dog Inventory can associate account codes from your accounting system with inventory items and expenses.
Types of Data
Yellow Dog Inventory can export the following Types of data to flat files for import into an accounting system:
- Sales Adjustments
- Transfer Adjustments
- Accounts Receivable Adjustments
- Inventory Change Adjustments
How Is Data Generated?
Each day Yellow Dog Inventory tallies up the entire history of all cost adjustments to the system. These adjustments are then compared against a table in the database storing Accounting History. Any variances between the two datasets are appended to Accounting History.
- An item is received for $1.00.
- Now, Yellow Dog Inventory's history has a $1.00 receipt record, but the Accounting History table does not.
- An item is sold for $1.00.
- Now, Yellow Dog Inventory's history has a $1.00 sales transaction, but the Accounting History table does not.
- YdiMaintenance.exe is launched on the server.
- A $1.00 adjustment is added for the AccruedPayables, CostOfGoodsSold, and InventoryAsset account types in the Accounting History table.
- An invoice is received for that item. It turns out the item actually cost $1.10.
- Running a sales report would show the item's sale cost as $1.10, but the Accounting History table only has the $1.00 adjustment.
- YdiMaintenance.exe is launched on the server.
- A $0.10 adjustment is added for the CostOfGoodsSold, and InventoryAsset account types in addition to any Invoice-related accounts.
The above example isn't 100% complete, but it illustrates how adjustments can be inserted into the Accounting History table. Sometimes an adjustment can be Posted for an Effective date that is months old.
Yellow Dog Inventory's accounting interface does not integrate directly with any specific accounting systems. However, text files can be generated in just about any format and placed anywhere on your network.
Yellow Dog Inventory can generate export files using a large number of options.
- Data files can be per store or combined.
- Comma-delimited or fixed width or other formats are supported.
- File and folders can be generated with Date/Time/Other stamped names.
- Files can be generated once a day, once a week or at any point available by the Window's Task Scheduler. We strongly recommend exporting once a day when getting started.
In addition to accounting data just about any other data in the system can be exported. Following are some of the fields generally used:
|Field Name||Field Description|
|Store||The name of the store|
|StoreCode||Yellow Dog Inventory's Store Code|
|StoreAccountingID||The Store's Accounting ID set up in the Store editor|
|Effective||The actual data/time when the transaction took place.|
|Posted||The date the transaction is posted. Typically, Posted and Effective will be the same day, but not always. Also, there could be multiple Posted dates for a single Effective date.|
|Account||The Account code.|
|Type||The type of Account code. Currently, this will be one of: CostOfGoodsSold, InventoryAssetCOGS, GoodsInTransit, TransferPayable, TransferReceivable, AccruedPayables, AccruedPayablesCredit, AccruedPayablesDebit, InventoryAssetReceived<, InvoiceExpense, Payables, ReturnToVendor, InventoryAsset, ManualInventoryAdjustment|
|DistributionType, DocumentType||Can be set under Accounting Setup. Has no real specification, but is available for custom uses|
|Document Type||Can be set under Accounting Setup. Has no real specification, but is available for custom uses|
|Vendor||Vendor's name, if applicable to transaction.|
|VendorCode||Yellow Dog Inventory's Vendor Code.|
|VendorAccountingID, VendorTerms||This can be set in the Vendor editor and is specific to each Vendor/Store combination.|
|PONumber, POCommitted, PODescription||Purchase Order information, if applicable to transaction.|
|ReceiptNUmber. ReceiptCommitted, ReceiptDescription||Receipt information, if applicable to transaction.|
|InvoiceNumber, InvoiceCommitted, InvoiceDescription, InvoiceFullAmount, InvoiceBilled, InvoiceDue||Invoice Record information, if applicable to transaction|
|Reference||Extra information for the transaction.|
|LineNumber||If this transaction is part of a purchasing document, this will be a line number (roughly).|
It can take a while to get all aspects of the accounting interface running smoothly. We will require a dedicated recource at your site to help us every step of the way.